by Aloka Mehta Gambir
A team of Harvard researchers has revealed the results of a study of 1,20,877 people showing that small changes in lifestyle behaviors such as physical activity, sleep duration, and TV-watching are strongly correlated with long-termweight gain.
But the most important factor was diet—and among the report’s most intriguing findings is precisely how much weight gain (or loss) can be attributed to consuming an additional daily serving of a variety of specific foods over a four-year period. These10 food items in particular correlated with long term changes in weight. The first 5 food items promote weight gain, and the next 5 promote weight loss. Lets see how your favourite foods fare in this list.
Foods that correlate to long term weight gain:
1. Potato Chips – Potato chips are not surprising here, with the starch content and their deep fried texture.
2. Potatoes – The innocent potatoes that you inject into your daily diet by way of making even boring sabzis more interesting could be adding to weight gain.
3. Sugar sweetened beverages – Again, these are silent killers. Without even realizing it, an innocent sip here, and a sip there could lead to more weight gain than you thought possible.
4. Un-processed red meat – Red meat with the high fat content, before it has been trimmed is definitely on the list of foods that lead to weight gain.
5. Processed meats – As are processed meats like sausages and salami. This is because of the high salt content as well as the unnatural preservatives that go into giving these meats a long shelf life.
Foods that correlate to long term weight loss:
1. Vegetables – No surprises here. Green leafy vegetables, tomatoes, capsicum, all those colours are nutritious and rich, and therefore filling. Veggies are a must to up in your diet if you are on a weight loss mission.
2. Whole grains – Oats, whole wheat, brown rice, are grains rich in fiber and promote weight loss if included in a diet. But that is only if you are switching over from the higher in sugar, refined version of grains.
3. Fruits – Great filler between meals, delicious, and nutritious, fruits are high on the list of food items you should consume to promote weight loss.
4. Nuts – Again a great snack to have between meals instead of wasting your appetite on deep-fried foods that make you feel hungry very quickly.
5. Yoghurt – The study has found that a regular consumption of yoghurt on a long-term basis promotes weight loss.
You may also like YNaija stories like:
Post From Ynaija