Warning: include(): Filename cannot be empty in /home/content/00/11669200/html/naijatowncrier/wp-content/themes/rehub/header.php on line 92

Warning: include(): Failed opening '' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5_6/lib/php') in /home/content/00/11669200/html/naijatowncrier/wp-content/themes/rehub/header.php on line 92

Dasukigate: Metuh to make no case submission

Published on February 18, 2016 by   ·   No Comments

Olisa Metuh at the Federal High Court, Abuja

Olisa Metuh at the Federal High Court, Abuja

The National Publicity Secretary of Peoples Democratic Party, PDP Olisa Metuh on Thursday told a Federal High Court sitting in Abuja that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC has failed to link him with the crimes he was accused of.

As such, Metuh who was being tried on seven count charges on money laundering and was expected to open his defence but he said he will be making a no case submission.

The PDP National Publicity Secretary lead cousel, Onyechi Ikpeazu, SAN is therefore expected to submit a written address and argued the no case submission on 25 February, 2016, the next adjourned date for the suit.

Justice Okon Abang had earlier granted the EFCC the opportunity of amending the seven- count charge bordering money laundering for which the PDP Publicity Secretary has been on trial since January.

The PDP Publicity Secretary is being tried for allegedly receiving the sum of N400 million (four hundred million naira) from former National Security Adviser (NSA), Col Sambo Dasuki (rtd) who is being tried for laundering $2.1 billion.

One of the amended counts to which Metuh pleaded not guilty to on Thursday reads: “That you Olisa Metuh and Destra Investments Limited on or before the 24th November, 2014 in Abuja within the Jurisdiction of this Honourable court took possession of the sum N400 million, paid into the account of DESTRA INVESTMENTS LIMITED with DIAMOND BANK Plc. Account No. 0040437573 from the account of the National Security Adviser with the Central Bank of Nigeria without contract award when you reasonably ought to have known that the said sum formed part of the proceeds of an unlawful activity of Col. Mohammed Sambo Dasuki (rtd) the then National Security Adviser (To Wit; criminal breach of trust and corruption) and thereby committed an offence contrary to Section 15(2), (d) of the Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act, 2011 as amended in 2012 and punishable under Section 15(3) of the same Act.”

There were also amendment to the charges‎ in counts one, two and seven.

He pleaded not guilty when the charges were read to him.

The prosecutor had concluded his case against him on 9 February after calling eight witnesses.

Metuh will be asking the court to discharge and acquit him of the charges in the no case submission.

Posted by on February 18, 2016, 7:32 pm. Filed under Metro, News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

Post from PM News

We will be happy to hear your thoughts

Leave a reply

*