In a study conducted by FDA scientists, most women had at least one broken implant within 11 years, and the likelihood of rupture increases every year. Silicone-7 migrated outside of the breast capsule for 21 percent of the women, even though most women were unaware that this had happened.
19. Silicone migration into lymph nodes and other organs
Don’t forget the financial burden and increased health insurance costs that go with multiple surgeries and medical complications. In some cases the surgery to remove implants can be like a mastectomy, complete removal of the breast tissue and sometimes the muscle underneath.
21. And last but not least, death
22. Additionally, it is harder to breastfeed (if at all), and harder to detect breast cancer. Conscientious women having regular breast cancer screenings have had their implants rupture from the pressure of a mammogram.
Take Home Lesson 25. Consider loving the body Mother Nature gave you rather than playing Russian Roulette with your health and your life.
4. Chronic breast pain,
Op-ed pieces and contributions are the opinions of the writers only and do not represent the opinions of Y!/YNaija.
20. Debilitating autoimmne disease such as fibromyalgia,dermatomyositis, polymyositis, Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, mixed connective-tissue disease, pulmonary fibrosis, eosinophilic fasciitis, and polymyalgia.
8. Hardened and misshapen breasts
10. Necrosis (skin death)
5. Breast or nipple numbness
Complications Of Breast Surgery And Silicone And Saline Breast Implants include:
Additionally, quality of life is greatly compromised if you have chronic health problems as a result of complications from implants.
Read more in Huffinton Post
by Dr. Nalini
11. Need for additional surgery to deal with problems
23. All breast implants will eventually break, but it is not known how many years the breast implants that are currently on the market will last. Studies of silicone breast implants suggest that most implants last 7-12 years, but some break during the first few months or years, while others last more than 15 years.
1. Infection (bacteria and mold which can be released from the implant into the body)
Take Home Lesson 24. There are serious life threatening and life altering short term and long term health, cosmetic and economic risks associated with breast implants.
6. Capsular contracture
18. Metal poisoning due to platinum exposure (in silicone implants)
In 2008, more than 300,000 women and teenagers underwent surgery to have their breasts enlarged with silicone or saline implants, and almost 80,000 breast cancer patients had reconstruction after mastectomy, often with implants. The popularity of breast augmentation has more than tripled since 1997, when there were just over 101,000 of these procedures. More than 40,000 implant removal procedures were also reported in 2008.
12. Dissatisfaction with how the breast looks
2. Surgical risks
17. Cognitive impairment: poor concentration
9. Breakage and leakage
Last week the FDA reported that breast implants put women’s lives in danger. The big news last week was that a small number of women can get a very rare type of cancer (ALCL: anaplastic large cell lymphoma). It confirmed that death is a possible side effect of breast implants.
Within the first three years, approximately three out of four reconstruction (breast cancer) patients and almost half of first-time augmentation patients experienced at least one local complication — such as pain, infection, hardening, or the need for additional surgery.
16. Memory loss
3. Anesthesia risks
14. Arthritis and joint pain
7. Scar tissue
You may also like YNaija stories like:
Post From Ynaija