Warning: include(): Filename cannot be empty in /home/content/00/11669200/html/naijatowncrier/wp-content/themes/rehub/header.php on line 92

Warning: include(): Failed opening '' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5_6/lib/php') in /home/content/00/11669200/html/naijatowncrier/wp-content/themes/rehub/header.php on line 92

Group takes protest to Lagos Assembly alleging imposition

Published on September 17, 2014 by   ·   No Comments

Adeyemi Ikuforiji, Speaker Lagos State House of Assembly

Adeyemi Ikuforiji, Speaker Lagos State House of Assembly

A group called Progressive Noble Members (PNM) on Wednesday stormed the Lagos State House of Assembly, protesting exclusion and the political imbalance in some parts of Ojo area of the state.

The Chairman of the PNM, Mr Awobi Ladega, said the political arrangement for electing or selecting candidates for political offices in the area was based on imposition of indigenes.

“We are a pressure group in All Progressives Congress (APC), we stand for the emancipation of the politically oppressed non-indigenes in Ojo, Iba and Oto-Awori Council Development Area of Lagos State.

“The so called non-indigenes constitute 85 per cent of the entire voting population of these areas compared to the other 15 per cent, including the natives and other tribes.

“The indigenes have constituted themselves as imposing authorities from the zones, wards and to the council levels on the premise that they are the land owners,” he said.

Ladega said that the group was the heart of the party at all levels in terms of numerical strength and financial participation and contributions.

He said that the party leaders were constantly reminding non-indigenes that they should go to their various villages whenever it came to reaping of democracy dividends.

“A cursory look at some other areas in Lagos State like Ajeromi, Apapa and Amuwo Odofin will reflect the contrary, as there are inter-relationships and mutual political benefits among the stakeholders.

“We solicit for pure and direct political primaries for selection of political office holders in Ojo, Iba and Oto-Awori areas to eradicate marginalisation of non Awori speaking people,” he said.

Addressing the protesters, Mr Adeyemi Ikuforiji, Speaker of the Lagos State Assembly, said the issue would be addressed and advised them not to take laws into their hands.

“We want equal representation, for us to work together for the progress of the state.

“I want to assure you that we will do all that needs to be done to make everyone feel at home in places where they are born,” the speaker said.

print

Posted by on September 17, 2014, 8:03 pm. Filed under News.
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0.
You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

Post from PM News

We will be happy to hear your thoughts

Leave a reply

*