At least eight villagers in Cameroon’s far north region were killed and nine injured in a raid on Thursday by Boko Haram insurgents.
Cameroonian authorities said that the raid was quelled by a gun battle between militants and security forces where members of both groups died.
Speaking on the development, Babila Akaou, Prefect for the Mayo-Sava district where the incident occurred, said that “aside the death of the villagers, we do not have details of the death toll from the gun battle which killed security forces and militants.’’
Boko Haram wants to create a caliphate and impose a strict version of Islamic law in adjacent northeastern Nigeria and has carried out cross-border raids in neighbouring countries.
The insurgents had used Cameroon’s north to stockpile supplies and recruits until a government crackdown last year, but the militants have responded this year by ramping up attacks in the area.
Cameroon is part of an 8,700-strong regional force led by Nigeria that is fighting the militants.
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0.
You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.
Post from PM News