Relief finally came to stranded commuters as Kaduna-Zaria traffic gridlock came to an end after over 14 hours.
The road was finally opened at about 1:25pm on Monday.
The spokesperson of Governor Nasiru El-Rufai, Samuel Aruwan, told journalists, that the Deputy Governor, Bala Bantex, and the Commissioner of Police, Umar Ambursa, were already at the scene and have opened the road.
“Government has responded quickly to the matter and the situation is under control now,” he said.
“While we appeal for calm, we are also appealing to the public to avoid taking law into their hands. Contrary to speculations, the victim of the shooting is still alive and is currently receiving treatment at the hospital as we speak.”
The traffic gridlock was caused by trailer drivers protesting the alleged shooting of their colleague by soldiers at a checkpoint.
Salisu Babayo, a commercial driver, alleged that the soldiers shot at the driver after he refused to give them N200.
“The trailer driver insisted on giving them N100, which they declined, and opened fire on him around 11:00pm Sunday night,” Mr. Babayo said. “”The bullet caught him on his leg. That was when the situation degenerated with other trailer divers and many vehicles protesting against the action and blocked the road around 3:00am.”
The spokesperson of 1 Mechanized Division Nigerian Army, Abdul Usman, a colonel, when contacted earlier on phone had said personnel have been drafted to investigate the issue.
“We are trying to find out exactly what happened,” he said. “Some personnel have gone to find out. We will give you details later.”
However, subsequent calls and text messages sent to his number were not responded to.
Post From Premium Times Nigeria