By Evelyn Okakwu
The Nigerian Prison Service has said discussions are ongoing on the relocation of of Boko Haram suspects to Anambra state prisons, refusing to confirm whether or not the inmates had been relocated.
There has been controversy over the transfer, with residents of Anambra protesting against reported moves to send high risk inmates to the state.
The state governor, Willy Obiano, has urged calm, and has appealed to the federal government to reconsider the decision.
Speaking to PREMIUM TIMES Tuesday, a spokesperson for the prisons service, Francis Enobore, merely said, “Discussions are currently ongoing with the appropriate authorities”.
He declined further details, saying he was not authorised to say more on the “sensitive” issue.
“What I am empowered to do I have told you. You have heard that talks are ongoing, and at the appropriate time the press and all those concerned will be addressed by whoever is delegated to do so. We are trying to be cautious because this is a very sensitive issue,” he said.
Asked if the relocation had already taken place, as reported, Mr. Onobore said, “Whatever. Like I told you, talks are already going on, and it will not be proper for someone else to now be talking on the same issue, so let’s just wait .”
The ruling All Progressive Congress had on the June 28 denied any plans to relocate Boko Haram prisoners to Ekwulobia prisons in the south east state of Anmabra, describing the report as “blatant falsehood”.
Post From Premium Times Nigeria